Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Guides Life - Western Arthurs Day 1

A 6:30am start from Hobart gets us to Scott's Peak Dam at 09:15 and we're ripping to go. I pull on the trusty boots and do a final gear check.

"Anybody want some power gels, you might need them we have a big day ahead" They were gone in a flash! Lake Cygnus here we come. We were blessed with a perfect day as we set off trudging through the mud towards Junction Creek.

By Junction Creek spirits were still high, we lunched then set off for Moraine A. Moraine A is the approach to top of the northern end of the Western Arthur Range and the beginning of Australia's best ridge walk.

I took up my usual role as tail end Charlie and started attacking the accent. The guys ahead of me stirred up a wasps nest and as I passed through that spot they took to me stinging my legs. Shit it hurt!

My head guide and 2 clients were off like a flash and weren't to be seen again until we reached the top of the range. I followed our 3rd client, who was suffering from extreme cramping. Not a nice start to his 10 day walk.

We re-grouped at the top of the range, took some pics then headed off along the range to Lake Cygnus. The sun was still shinning on the eastern side of the cirque as we descended down to the lake and our campsite. A tent pitching demonstration was my first task followed by swinging the billy for a hot cuppa.

Dinner was a Tomato and Basil Risotto with more hot drinks and a early night.

No comments:

Post a Comment