I have put together a few basic tips that you should apply to your landscape photography and by applying them it should help you to capture the scenery at its best.
1. Where possible use a tripod as this will ensure sharpness of the image
2. Use the rule of thirds. Place the horizon a third of the way down
3. Place the centre of interest (unusual rock, stream, cabin) a little bit off - centre
4. A foreground image will help frame the scene but ensure that you have your depth of field set correctly.
5. Check through your viewfinder that there are no un-natural objects in your shot (telephone boxes, power lines etc)
6. Never use your cameras flash
7. Try and keep your image horizontal
8. Be patient and stick around for a while when capturing a scene. Morning and evening light can bring change quickly and make your shot more interesting.